Cooking time: 30 minutes
Yields: 4 people
Ingredients: 2 cups cooked grain (brown rice, quinoa, millet)
2/3 cup crushed almonds or walnuts
1 onion, finely chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, finely minced
4 celery stalks, finely chopped
4 bell peppers (green, red, or yellow)
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
2 teaspoons olive oil or ghee
salt to taste
Directions: 1. Sauté onion and garlic with oil for 1 minute.
2. Add celery and sauté for 3 minutes.
3. Mix with remaining ingredients, except peppers and crushed nuts.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
5. Cut off tops of peppers and scoop out insides.
6. Steam peppers until slightly tender.
7. Fill each with stuffing and top with crushed nuts.
8. Place in casserole dish with 1/8 inch water, bake in oven for 30 minutes
Notes: Adapted from Healing with Whole Foods: Asian Tradition and Modern Nutrition, by Paul Pitchford.