Cooking time: 30 minutes
Yields: 4 people
Ingredients: 4 onions, sliced into half moons
1 teaspoon oil, sesame or olive
4 cups of water
3-4 tablespoons soy sauce or dark miso (hatcho)
Whole grain croutons or toasted bread
- In a large pot sauté onions in oil until they start to brown.
- Add water, bring to boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add soy sauce or diluted miso. Simmer for 3 minutes longer.
- Serve in individual bows and float a few croutons or toast on top of soup.
- Add a slice of cheese on top of the croutons or bread and place bowl of soup in a 350 degree oven until cheese has melted.