Cooking time: 60 minutes
Yields: 8 people
Ingredients: For cake:
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or spelt flour
1 cup unbleached white flour
1 tablespoon non-aluminum baking powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/2 cups roasted chopped walnuts
2/3 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup unrefined corn oil
1/4 cup tahini
4 ounces tofu
2/3 cup apple juice, water, rice or soy milk
1 package firm “Mori-Nu” tofu or 10 ounces silken tofu
1/2 cup maple syrup or barley malt
1/2 cup roasted carob powder
1/2 cup almond or hazelnut extract
- Sift flour into a large bowl.
- Add baking powder and salt.
- Add 1 cup nuts (reserve the rest for decorating).
- Combine syrup, oil, tahini, tofu and juice into a blender.
- Gradually combine the liquid ingredients into dry until they are mixed well.
- Transfer into a well-greased 9-inch cake pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool before frosting it.
- Combine all ingredients into a blender and puree until smooth.
- Cut the cooled cake in half horizontally.
- Spread one third of the frosting, raspberry or apricot jam, over the bottom half.
- Decorate with some chopped walnuts.