- Vegetables of your choice
- Wash the vegetables.
- Cut into slender shapes.
- Bring water to a boil.
- Put vegetables in the steam basket and cover.
- When vegetables reach desired tenderness take them out of the pot and serve.
- Since the vegetables will continue to cook slightly after they are removed from the pot, place them under cool water to keep color vibrant.
Notes: Steaming is one way to prepare simple, clean tasting vegetable, free of salt, oil or seasoning. Steamers come in a variety of forms. The stainless steel fold up variety fits inside a pot to hold the vegetables above the water. Some pots are specifically made with holes in the bottom for steaming over another pot of water.
* Prep Time, Cooking Time, and Servings will vary by vegetable and quanity.